Be an Ambassador of Joy!
Your gift to the Band helps us further our message of visibility, inclusivity, and love. Since we debuted as the world’s first openly gay musical organization over 40 years ago in 1978, we have tirelessly marched forward with our mission of fostering understanding of the LGBTQ+ community through musical performance.
The Band advocates for equality by supporting in and participating in local and national rallies, including the Trans March, the Women’s March, and Pride events all around California and beyond. Through our Community Concert Series, we showcase the creative talents of our community and share the wonder of both classical and modern music. We continually strive to highlight and elevate music composed by women, minority, and LGBTQ+ composers. Our year of outreach culminates in our own zany twist on the Nutcracker, which thousands of Bay Area families have made a part of their holiday tradition. We imbue each year’s show with the values we hold highest: hope, kindness, and equality.
We could not do all that we strive to do without your help! The support of our community ensures that the SFLGFB can continue to build bridges through the universal language of music – music that can put a known face on coming out and where it wouldn’t matter whether you were queer or not. Your generous gifts help us to expand our programs to larger audiences, provide our members with strong musical development, and enable us to represent San Francisco and the Bay Area as our community’s “Ambassadors of Joy.”
In the words of our inimitable founder Jon Sims, “Our Message is Music.” With your generous support, we can amplify that message for generations to come.
- Sponsor a concert, including hall rental, equipment moving and handling, insurance, etc. (2,500+)
- Sponsor the cost of a charter bus to share the band's music with new communities across California ($3,000+)
- Commission new music for band premiere ($5,000)
Click here to find out more about sponsorship opportunities.
- One month of concert band rehearsals, including location rental, equipment, and artistic direction
- One month of pep and marching band rehearsals, including location rental, equipment, and artistic direction
- Sponsor a scholarship for a member's participation in four concert sets (one year)
- Dry cleaning our overlays between parade seasons
- New percussion equipment
- Scholarship for member to attend musical development "band camp" workshop
- New concert or pep band music selection
- Instrument section coaches (one 2-hour session per instrument group for most concerts)
- New percussion equipment
- Sponsor a scholarship for a member's participation in one concert set
- Uniform: marching plume, shako, overlay, or pep jacket
- Two music stand lights
- Ten new tutus to rent out during the Dance-Along Nutcracker
Any amount helps us fund:
- General membership support - help remove financial barriers to member participation (e.g. supplies, quarterly dues, full uniform set, member social bonding event, travel costs, etc.)
- Instrument repairs
To donate online, please pay securely with PayPal below.
Donate By Mail
To donate by mail using a check or credit card, simply print our donation form, and mail the completed form to:
San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band
584 Castro Street, PMB 841
San Francisco, CA 94114
A gift of appreciated stocks and/or bonds is a simple and tax-effective way to support the band. For appreciated securities held longer than one year you can deduct the full fair market value of a stock or bond donation. The band has a Fidelity account for accepting donated securities. For questions, please visit our Contact page and select “Donations Questions”.
Jon Sims Endowment Fund for the Performing Arts (JSEF)
The SFLGFB is affiliated with the Jon Sims Endowment Fund for the Performing Arts (JSEF). Its endowed funds have been given to this 501(c)(3) organization for investment purposes. The JSEF exists to provide financial support for LGBTQ+ performing arts organizations. To carry on the dreams of founder Jon Sims, the JSEF attracts funds and bequests, invests the contributions, and distributes grants to qualified groups. If you are interested in making a lasting donation or bequest to benefit the SFLGFB, please contact the JSEF.
Support Our Sponsors
The donations made by our sponsors touch every aspect of our organization. Help us continue our mission by supporting these sponsors.
OurTownSF is your guide to nonprofits, community, arts & athletic groups benefiting the San Francisco LGBTQ+ Community. Here you’ll find all band events listed, plus hundreds of other events of interest.
Shop at Cole Hardware
Cole Hardware gives the band 10% of purchases every day of the year! Just ask the cashier to post your purchase to the San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band (account #585). It’s that simple!
Donate to Community Thrift Store
Donate goods to the Community Thrift Store, a non-profit resale organization that recycles and distributes donated household items, furniture, and clothing throughout the Bay Area. Mention the SF Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band (account #41) when donating goods.
Shop Amazon Smile
The San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band is an AmazonSmile program partner! When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price back to the band. Bookmark the link above and support us every time you shop!
You don’t need to play an instrument to get involved! The Band is seeking enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers and leaders. Your efforts will help make our concerts and events better for our fans and members.
We welcome volunteers in the following areas:
- Parades - carry a flag or banner, join the hydration team
- Concerts - usher, collect tickets, sell merchandise, and provide other support
- Lend us your skills - fundraising, graphic design, social networking, photography, storytelling, prop building, flash mob planning, bookkeeping, event planning, catering
- Leadership - join the band's Board of Directors; you do not need to be a performer or musician to join the Board of Directors
To volunteer, visit our Contact page and select “Volunteer”.