I joined the Band in 1979 and my first gig was a 6 a.m. Easter Service at Glide Memorial Church (what an intro)!
Other highlights include:
- Performing at the first Gay Pride Concert in June 1979 at Grace Cathedral.
- Our concert at Davies Hall in November 1980, shortly after it opened.
- Playing in the first Dance-Along Nutcracker at the S.F. Gift Center in 1985 and many more since.
- Marching with the Band at the National March for Lesbian & Gay Rights in Washington D.C. and playing with the L.G.B.A. band at D.A.R. Constitution Hall, both in October 1987.
- Playing with the L.G.B.A. band along the parade route for Bill Clinton’s second inauguration in January 1997.
- Playing at City Hall when the Band was permanently named “The Official Band of San Francisco” in December 2018.
It’s rewarding to see younger people getting involved and taking charge!