The San Francisco Lesbian/Gay Freedom Band (the Band) is the first openly gay musical organization in the world and the Official Band of the City & County of San Francisco. The Band’s mission is to:
- Provide for the education and musical development of its Members;
- Promote visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities; and
- With its allies, foster understanding among diverse communities through public musical performances.
The Band seeks to commission a new piece of music for concert band from a Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color (BIPOC) composer as part of an ongoing program to build diversity in every aspect of our organization.
Additionally, the Band commissions this as a gift to the 30+ member bands of Pride Bands Alliance (formerly called the Lesbian and Gay Band Association – LGBA).
The composers selected from this Request for Qualifications screening will be invited to develop a detailed proposal including theme, structure and scope of the piece while staying true to the mission of the Band; especially fostering understanding of diverse communities through public performance.
- Written for a Concert Band. Instrumentation can be found in Appendix A.
- Length of 6-9 minutes.
- Grade level 3.5 to 4.5 (suitable for High School and Community Bands).
- Delivery includes PDF of score and all parts & MIDI recording approximating the piece.
- Share a brief statement detailing their inspiration for the piece and the message they intend to deliver to its audience.
- Provide up to 3 hours of consulting with the Band prior to first performance.
- Attend the Premiere (costs covered by the Band).
- Performance rights and licenses for the piece will be available to both the Band and other member bands in Pride Bands Alliance.
- Performance rights reserved to the Band and members of the Pride Band Alliance for one year following the premiere.
Request for Qualifications
- Audio samples and scores of pieces representative of your work with composition dates (can be links to specific web addresses or submit audio/video files)
- Please briefly answer these questions
- Why are you interested in applying for this commission?
- What about the Band’s Mission is meaningful to you?
- How can you see your music supporting the mission of the Band and the goals of this commission?
- Two references
Criteria for Success
- You are a Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color (BIPOC) composer
- Successful experience composing for larger instrumental ensembles
We are offering $7500 for this commission plus covering expenses (travel, hotel, meals if coming from out of town) to attend the premiere in San Francisco, California.
- Request for Qualifications due November 1 2021
- Request for Proposal sent to selected composers December 1 2021
- Proposals due February 15 2022
- Composer selected March 31 2022
- Finalize contract April 30 2022
- Composition delivery January 1 2023
- Premiere at “Spotlight” concert May 2023
|Flute / Piccolo||Oboe||Clarinet||Alto Saxophone||Tenor Saxophone|
|Baritone Saxophone||Bass Clarinet||Bassoon||French Horn||Trumpet / Cornet|
|Trombone||Euphonium / Baritone Horn||Tuba||Timpani||Batterie Percussion|